Saying “I Love you”
At FPP, we demonstrate our love through delicious food because nothing says “I love you” like a homecooked meal with fresh ingredients! We’ve gone around and asked some of our staff how they met their loved one and what recipe they prepare for their special someone. Here’s the drop on head Veggie Peddler herself, Amie and some of her team.
Amie Keslar, Owner
Love Story: Amie and her husband, Al, first met at college in Massachusetts on Amie’s 18th birthday. But their love story didn’t start until 10 years later. While on a cross country road trip, Amie visited Al in his South Florida stomping grounds. Let’s just say she never left! Though a total health nut, Amie can melt her husbands heart with her “healthy-er” version of strawberry muffins for breakfast.
- 2 cups Day Springs Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter
- 1 cup local Waldoch Honey
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup local Wainright Kefir
- 2 C Diced Strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and insert your liners into muffin pan
- Cut berries and place in small bowl, slightly crush to bring out juice. Set aside
- Add dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) and sift into a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add butter and honey, beat until smooth. Add eggs, kefir, and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly to wet ingredients. Mix on low until batter is smooth.
- Add berries to the batter and mix by hand.
- Spoon batter into muffin pans, place into oven for 18 to 20 minutes. Use toothpick to test. Remove from muffin pan after 5 minutes.
Kristen Warren, Purchasing Coordinator
Love Story: Kristen and her husband, Jonathan, met at Stetson University and, while working on a group Honors’ Program project involving the bubonic plague and the circles of Hell, fell madly in love and have been together ever since! Jonathan is a voracious eater and can never seem to get enough of Kristen’s hummus and accompanying dressed veggies.
- 1 can of garbanzo beans
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 6 tablespoons of tahini
- 3 tablespoons of Florida Olive Farm & Mills Olive Oil
- 1 head of black garlic
Directions: Throw the garlic into food processer and process until minced. Throw everything else in there and blend until smooth. If the texture is too chunky, use a little more olive oil as needed.
DRESSED VEGGIE DIRECTIONS:
- 1 lb of cucumbers
- 1 lb of heirloom tomatoes
- Half of a head of Bacon’s Select Green Bibb lettuce, sliced
- 3 tablespoons of Artisan Black Garlic’s Balsamic Black Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of Florida Olive Farm & Mills Olive Oil
- Fresh herbs such as basil or parsley, chopped
Directions: Mix together olive oil, vinegar and herbs. Pour over veggies. Serve with hummus and pita bread!
Regina Peck, Safety Manager
Love Story: Regina and her husband, Eric, met in highschool while they were working at The Loop restaurant. A few years later the two married and to this day they are just like teenagers in love. Looking at Eric, you wouldn’t know that he loves food, but this tall skinny drink of water can eat!! Regina busts out her cooking skills on nights like tonight and dishes out some lettuce wraps using the recipe she got from Dennis Chan, Chef & Owner of Blue Bamboo in Jax.
- 1 tbsp Garlic
- 2 Chicken breasts, sliced thin for stir fry
- 1 tsp Ginger
- 2 tsp Dried chiles, crushed
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Lime juice
- 2 Tbsp Fish sauce
- 1 Red onion, sliced
- 2 Green onions, cut into 2 inch pieces
- ½ cup Peanuts
- 4 sprigs thai basil
- lettuce, iceberg or bibb for wrapping
Prepare all ingredients. Heat wok to medium heat and sauté garlic until fragrant. Add chicken and ginger, and sauté until almost done. Add chiles, sugar, lime juice, red onion, and fish sauce. Stir until heated. Add green onions, peanuts, and basil.
Plate and Serve with lettuce.